Questions?

Do you have burning questions about the pre-med, medical school admission, and residency process? Post a comment, and I will happily answer any and all questions.

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Medical School Admissiosn Guide Book Event: Harvard Extension Pre-Health Society

As part of The Medical School Admissions Guide: A Harvard MD's Week-by-Week Admissions Handbook book tour, I have been speaking to pre-med groups throughout the country. On April 13, 2011, I had the pleasure of meeting with the Harvard Extension School Pre-Health Society (HEPS, hcs.harvard.edu/heps) at Tommy Doyle's in Cambridge, MA. Thank you to Joseph Dunbar for making this event happen.


This event reminded me of why I love working with non-traditional students. They come from such interesting backgrounds and invariably have an interesting story to tell. Even the mission statement of HEPS shows the maturity of its members: "It is the mission of HEPS to cultivate and enhance the pre-health experience for Harvard Extension School students through advising, events, and networking. It is the vision of HEPS to continually seek out new opportunities for pre-health students at the Harvard Extension School and encourage student ideas and involvement." The HEPS members had such insightful and interesting questions we stayed at Tommy Doyle's for five hours! That sets a new record for book tour events.


One particular HEPS member stood out. She had been told that, as an artist, she would never get into medical school. Whoever told her that is nothing by wrong. THERE IS NO ONE PATH TO MEDICAL SCHOOL! Remember that. In fact, unique paths often make more interesting and successful doctors. After the event, this member send a lovely e-mail that I'd like to share part of with you:


"With that being said, thank you so much for sharing such valuable insight and information with us!  Even though I am just beginning my journey and am about to complete only my first year of pre-medical studies, I have already encountered so much negativity and competitive commentary regarding the medical school application process.  Admittedly, I sometimes wonder if I am in over my head or whether my background is “good enough” to cut it, so to say.  I am a bit older (32), come from quite a diverse background, and do not have much in the way of clinical experience as of yet.  After hearing you speak, however, I felt so much more at ease and positive about my chances in the future.  I think we all need to be careful who we get our information from, and your clear and concise delivery of the true facts are just what I needed.  I am especially looking forward to getting a copy of your book and learning even more!"


Next stop Boston College!

No comments:

Post a Comment